Friday, May 30, 2008

THE LANGUAGE BARRIER IN A CITY: MIAMI FLORIDA THE MELTING POT? NO LOST IN TRANSLATION.

Now before I begin, I will tell you I'm not a nationalist nor am I a nativist. I weight out the pros and cons before taken a position on issues. I embrace our culture(you know the melting pot we live in). Therefore, when there is a problem simmering I must bring it to the attention of others.

I remember searching for jobs in the Miami Herald news paper. Almost every job listing I came across the employers were seeking employees who were bilingual or spanish speaking. So that eliminated me from those job positions and every other American who didn't speak spanish. I have a friend with the last name Ruiz, she was able to submit her resumes and get interviews with many employers.(Great right?) But to their surprise, she was African American and did speak a lick of spanish. Conclusion she didn't get those jobs. It is very frustrating to want to work but can't get a job because you're not bilingual.

When I speak with friends of mine, they tell me they're leaving Miami and going north because they can't find work. "You must be bilingual" they say. I believe this is what you would call: language disenfranchisement in America. The notion of being denied a job or "services" because English is our first and only language that's ridiculous. Not absurd, apparently this is happening and it has been going on for a long time now. I'm going to go out on a whim and say our black Representatives and city official(the people who we put in office!)are looking out for our best interest.(I think not!) So, can count on them to do the fallowing: speak out openly against illegal immigration and raised questions into why Black American are leaving their city. However, they are silent on these issues and many more.

America is the only country in the world where we can have equal opportunity, but when the playing filed is not level, we the people become marginalized, displace and frustrated. So we must speak out about our right as Americans.

No comments: